SSN’s engagement in the Discourse on Animal Experimentation in Switzerland
The SSN has traditionally invested itself in raising awareness and educating its membership in the debate about animal experimentation.
The SSN used to organize Training Courses on Animal Experimentation (to obtain the credits for continued education)
Members of the SSN were part of launching the Basel Declaration
The SSN has been represented in the FENS Committee on Research in Animals (CARE). Our current representative is: Prof. Camilla Bellone, UNIGE
The SSN Presidents have reached out to regional and national lawmakers to express the voice of the membership in debates prior to votations
What our goals are:
The SSN supports all national and international efforts to spread the message that neuroscience needs animal experimentation.
The SSN is open to engage in discussions about how to implement the 3R principles.
The SSN wants to provide the necessary info to its members to help them on how to best communicate about his/her research in the public debate
What we are currently doing:
We are in contact with institutions and organizations who provide pertinent information for the public. Here a few important links:
- Message from swissuniversities
- Message from Network Future, engaged in the debate between science and politics
- Make sure you consult the 40 important reasons for doing animal research put forward by EARA
- Make sure you know about Animal Research Tomorrow that engages in reflexions for ethically responsible and open animal research
- We post information and flyers from authoritative institutions on animal research. See here the flyer from SAVIR (Swiss Association of Veterinarians in Industry and Research)
- 30 April 2021: Read an excellent article on how to communicate about animal experimentation from Prof. Hottiger, UNIZH, here.
- 24 June 2021, 5 pm: General Assembly of "Forschung für Leben"
- 13 October 2021: The Federal Council announces that the initiative will be voted on on February 13, 2022
- Read here the updated message from swissuniversities
- Check out here the very useful site with all info from REATCH
- 8 December 2021: The SSN President speaks at a News event from Economiesuisse
- January - February 2022 - attend to information events organized by REATCH, 3RCC
- Volunteer for support for the information day of SAVIR, Forschung für Leben
We distribute and contribute to articles in scientific journals jointly written by colleague expert scientists. See here a recent publication on the standing of good practice in Animal Experimentation and Reproducibility. See here a recent article in Current Biology on the need of Animal experimentation. More to come!